Friday, December 2, 2011

Motorola Droid Razr

You might have read about Motorola's newest addition to the Droid series: the Droid Razr.  You may have also heard it has off the charts performance specs, a brilliant display, 4G LTE service, yadda yadda yadda.  The aspect of the Razr we're most excited about is Bluetooth 4.0, but then again, our company designs Bluetooth software.  

However instead of covering all the bells and whistles, I want to focus on what's wrong with the Razr (like a proper pessimist should).

First off it's just too big.  The screen size is great for navigating the web, but I feel like I'm holding a etch-a-sketch up to my head when I'm talking.  My last phone was the original Motorola Droid, and maybe it's just because I'm familiar with it, but I like the size of that.  I also like the size of the iPhone.  It fits neatly into your jeans without having corners clearly jutting out.

(To avoid feeling like I'm talking into a tablet, I would get one of those Bluetooth headsets, but I hate those people that natter away on those things while walking down the street.  I hate even more the people who just wear those things around even when they're not yammering into it.)

Another problem I have is on the home page.  Thing are getting too convoluted.  I want an interface with icons for a few of the apps I use most.  The Droid Razr has a large screen and instead of making the old Android interface larger and icons more manageable, the Motorola and Google people have just tried to cram more stuff in there.  My advice to Motorola: larger icons, simpler views, and less crap. My advice to Google: keep your tablet and phone platforms separate.  Make the development process basically the same, but force devices to choose whether they want to be one or the other.

Problem #3: it's fricken expensive.  I believe the iPhone 4S should still be the gold standard, but the Razr costs 50% more PLUS you don't have a choice of carriers.

Considering these problems my recommendation is not to buy the Razr.  Either wait a few days (two new A-list Android phones are reputed to be coming out on December 8th) or buy an iPhone 4S.  Unfortunately for me, I'm stuck with this thing for two years.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment